Saturday, May 25, 2013

Chocolate Hummus Bundt Cake

Yes, I said Chocolate Hummus Bundt Cake!
When I was in Richmond, VA as Sabra;s guest, Executive Research Chef MaryDawn Wright made our group a hummus cake & it was amazing! I've never had anything like it. So tasty and moist. I asked her how she did it and like a true chef, she said she really didn't have a recipe but that she had substituted Sabra Classic Hummus for butter. I knew right then that I was on a quest to recreate this amazing dessert!

Once I returned to Philly I got ahold of a chocolate cake recipe from my grandmother's handwritten cookbook. The first two times I tried to make a hummus cake, I was unsuccessful with the cake dry and heavy, more like a pound cake.

Determined, I marched on & like they say, the third time's a charm. Today's cake was just what I was shooting for. Moist, light & flavorful with a hint of nuttiness imparted by the hummus, this cake was off the hook! I'm overjoyed with the result.
Below is the recipe if you'd like to give it a try.

Ingredients: 
3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 cup shortening, 3 cups white sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 5 eggs, 1 cup milk, I cup Sabra Classic Hummus plus one tablespoon.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream hummus, shortening, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour mixture alternately with the milk. Mix well.
Pour into 10 inch Bundt pan. Bake at 325 F for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack, lightly ice cake while still warm so icing runs down the cake and cool completely.
Once out of the oven you'll have a delicious dessert that looks like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment