Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Jazzed Up Whipped Cream

Today I was going to share with you this amazing Pecan Pie recipe that was my grandmother's personal favorite. Molasses, cane sugar, eggs, toasted pecans. Real old school stuff. Anyway, while the pie is baking, I decided to try  hand at making whipped cream for the pie. How hard could it be? Heavy cream, vanilla extract, a little brown sugar & a stand mixer. Right?

Once I've assembled my ingredients, lightbulbs started going off in my head! How can I improve this? How can I make this my own? What will put this over the top? Then it hit me like a brick. Bourbon! Not just any bourbon though. This requires something special like Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon.

Ingredients, measuring devices, & shot glass in hand, I head for the mixer. Using the theory that you can always add more, I make generic whipped cream with 1/2 tbsp of bourbon. It was ok but the brown sugar definitely was the strong  ingredient. 

So now the pie is out of the oven, cooling on a rack at the end of the counter & it's back to the mixer for me. Long story short; three more trial runs and I had one banging whipped cream chilling in the fridge. 

The pie was also a success and what a combination the two were together! Below is the recipe that I came up with & let me tell you that the taste testing was the best part!

Jazzy Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons bourbon

Add all ingredients to mixing bowl. With mixer set at medium speed, beat until stiff peaks form ( about 2 minutes or so ). Refrigerate for 90 minutes before using. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment